Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"Lunch at the Mall."

First off. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Nina is back! Check out the Noaa forecast here for the upcoming winter season, then jump for joy for the upcoming season! More powder days for all.

                                 Noaa Winter Season Outlook

which means....

ohhhh yeah baby, those days are coming back!


                                    More on that later.
                                   --------------------------


This happened a couple weeks ago, all true I might add.


All I needed was a new wallet. It was my main and only goal as I walked into the Kalispell Mall. Tuesday was here and I was on the hunt for a replacement for my old wallet, mainly since it had come to rest in a grass field for close to a week, and it just so happened to be one of the wettest weeks of the summer. Amidst the molded remains of my old friend, I quickly retrieved my driver’s license, a couple of other items, and tossed it in the dumpster. With the goodbyes all said and done, I set out for a new wallet.           
My trip into town eventually led me to the front doors of the local mall. And as I passed through the doors of the old building I was greeted with a cool breeze, the typical smell of the place (you know it), and the empty sound of but a few shoppers. I looked about and saw numerous shops that have closed and been emptied, a sign of the times one might say, especially for this dismal place.
But I was on a mission. I needed a new wallet, and I was sure I could find some cheap piece of leather there that would fit my needs. But a groan from my stomach informed me to put it off for a little while. Lunchtime.
I thought that there had to be some decent joint here where I could get something good to eat. I wander aimlessly through the near-empty mall for someplace to eat. Orange Julius? Closed. CafĂ© Espresso? A bit over-the-top for me. Dairy Queen? Yeah right. After laughing at the pretzel factory I notice next to it a small eatery composed mainly of tables and chairs with a small corner for the kitchen and counter. The sign overhead reads “Anna’s Greek Gyros.” Unlike the majority of the mall, the small place is crowded with locals, eating, reading the newspaper, or in conversation with the person next to them. Curious, I approach the counter and immediately I am greeted with the smell of beef cooking on a rotisserie, cooked lamb, and fresh pita bread. An older lady stands at the counter cleaning the counter, and upon noticing my approach, she kindly asks what I’d like to eat. “Whatever is the most popular,” I reply and she rings up an order for a cuple Gyros sandwiches and a Coke.
Now just to be clear on things, the Gyro sandwich is a popular European food, comprising traditionally of broiled lamb or beef in a pita bread along with a cucumber sauce, lettuce, and tomato. Now while it spelled Gyro, in it’s original language it is pronounced “euro” which the standard pronunciation today.
I sit down and bite into the Gyro. It is delicious. The bread nice and fresh, the beef nice and tender, and the cucumber sauce adds a savory kick to the sandwich. The next one is of pork, a different but delicious tasting sandwich. I finally finish with a lamb gyro, along with roasted ell peppers and grilled onions. Every bite is as good as the one before. I notice the lady from counter has sat at one of the tables, and is polishing a wooden handmade clock. She is obviously of Greek heritage, wearing a heavy tan, older skin, and grey hair. Her accent is heavy in Greek as she talks with a customer sitting nearby. I wonder what could possibly have brought her to place such as Montana, since she appears totally out of place here. Pondering that thought, I continue on with my sandwich.
When I finish I take my tray to the front, and the Lady asks me for my opinion. “It was delicious.” I say, and she kindly says “Thank you” to me. And seeing her smile in appreciation, I leave the place.
I go about my wallet finding business, and soon find one suitable for my needs. Standing in line at the register I can’t help but ponder how good that gyro truly was, how a place like that can offer simple, yet delicious food for the local person. I’m stunned at how such a place, in the middle of an empty mall be such a hidden jewel, ignored by many, but greatly appreciated by those who decided to take a chance. To try someplace new, and find themselves surprised at just how good the food is. Traditional Greek food in Kalispell, who knew such a thing existed. I leave the store with one last thing on my list to do.
The lady had finished her clock, and was finding it a spot in the eatery to put it. After talking with her husband in Greek language, shouting a few words of course, she notices me approaching the counter.
“Sorry, I couldn’t resist buying one more.” 




Pray for Snow!

 The S-Jenk

No comments:

Post a Comment