Monday, November 9, 2009

The Problem with Fawns

So I have yet to figure out the working of this website. Maybe it's just me, but I am having a little difficulty making a place for links, putting my anger aside, here is what's on my mind.

I hit a deer the other day. It's not something uncommon for Montana drivers. To the californian tourists, they may seem to be cute creatures of god, but around here they are given a devilish name during the hunting offseason. They wander through town, get into the gardens, and are even more hated for the amount of damage they cause to vehicles yearly. One study has shown that there are estimated 1.5 million deer collisions yearly, causing on average $1000 dollars in repairs. The statistic wasn't what amazed me though, but the fact that Montana didn't make the top ten list of collision incidents. After pondering this thought, I concluded that many people don't ever report their collisions for one main reason. The vehicles we drive. we live in a society where trucks outnumber all other cars 3:1 on our roads. A fair amount also have deer guards mounted on the front. A worthwhile investment on our part. The effect of a deer hitting a guard on vehicle barreling down the interstate, can loosely be related to a bug hitting a windshield. Pretty thought isn't it? Getting back to my deer incident, it turned out to only be a small fawn. Lucky I was heading around a curb when the little bastard darted out from the right. Since I was only travelling 15 mph, the result was the animal rebounding off my car like a ping pong ball on a paddle. While I  quickly checked to see if any damage was present, the fawn was squirming on its back, trying to get up. When it finally scampered off, I resumed my drive to work. The fawn was okay, and no damage was present. I continued on through the cold morning, ice forming on the windshield, heaters going full blast, and a good wake-up call to my morning.

Pray for Snow.

The S-Jenk

No comments:

Post a Comment